As we begin the New Year it would be wise to focus on our consistency when trying to reach any goals we may have set. Consistency is key to achieving success in any area of your life whether it be relationships, work, healthy living, emotional or spiritual.
Unfortunately, it’s the one thing we humans struggle with the most.
Why is consistency so important? Because it’s by our consistent efforts that we become successful. Think about it….if you were trying to climb a mountain, would you start running up and then go back down for a rest when you got tired, only to start over again?Do you think you would ever reach the top by doing this? Or would it be more wise if you walked instead of ran, kept a slow steady pace. You probably wouldn’t get so tired (or burned out) that you would want to quit but could keep on going until you reached the summit. In order to be successful in ANYTHING, we must be consistent in our actions.
Thomas Edison is a great example of someone who wouldn’t quit. He was consistent in his efforts and never gave up. If one thing didn’t work, he tried something else but he NEVER stopped working towards his goal. If he hadn’t been consistent, we possibly would still be living our lives by candlelight. One of his other quotes that I love is “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” Ouch! Just think about it. It pains me to think of what I could have accomplished throughout my life if I had never given up on my dreams! BUT…Hallelujah….I can start again and this time, keep going!
So how can we be more consistent? Here are some practical ways to be consistent in what you do.
- Have a clear vision of what you want to accomplish. Be laser sharp on what you want to do and WHY! Your why is what will keep you on target and keep you going. I tell my clients to always keep their “WHY” in front of them throughout the day. Maybe it’s post-it notes stuck in places you will run across them, or your background on your computer or cell phone. The key is keeping it where you will see it multiple times during the day.
- Don’t try to do too many things at one time. When we try to make too many changes at one time, we tend to become overwhelmed and give up on all of them. So pick one thing that you want to change/do….master it; become consistent in your actions in THAT AREA. Then move on to the next one. By doing this you will find you won’t be overwhelmed and can find success.
- Focus on the process not the end result. Let’s say you want to lose weight. Don’t look at the amount of weight you want to lose. Instead, focus on what actions it will take to reach that goal. Instead of saying, I want to lose 20 lbs, focus on walking 3 days a week and doing some form of strength training 2 days a week. By taking these actions consistently, you can achieve your goal more easily. When you break your goals down into smaller, bite-size actions you develop consistency which leads to success.
- Don’t shoot for perfection. So many times we will slip up and then think , “Well, I’ve really blown it! I can’t do this!” STOP….JUST STOP!!!! That kind of thinking is sure to sabotage any chance you have for success. So you fell of the wagon…get back on! The fact of the matter is we ALL are going to slip up, give in, or fall off. None of us are perfect so stop beating yourself up for being human. Acknowledge it and move on.
- Don’t give in to the little voice inside you that says “I don’t feel like it”……Remember, you control the volume on that voice. Turn it off and do it anyway. When we allow how we “feel” to control what we do, we are doomed for failure. Our emotions are all over the place and can’t be relied on to be a barometer for what we should do.
No matter what your goals are, remember to be consistent in your working towards them. Slow, methodical, everyday actions will get you to where you want to be or what you want to do. Through that consistency, you will find peace.
What are some of your strategies for being consistent? I’d love to hear them. Please leave a comment and share with us what has worked for you. Be as detailed as you can or want to. Thank you so much for stopping by and I hope this will help you make all your dreams come true.