Fear….it is a powerful feeling. But what makes us feel fear? Is it the unknown? Or maybe we know far more than we want to. Is it self doubt, lack of physical ability, or education. Maybe it’s fear of being alone. All of these things are legitimate feelings but they all stem from one thing. Lack of confidence.
Feelings of confidence depend on the type of thoughts that continuously occupy your mind. If you think you are defeated, you will be. But if you practice thinking thoughts of confidence and make it a habit, you will be shocked at how it will affect you. Regardless of what difficulties come your way you will be able to overcome them. Feelings of confidence breeds confidence and strength!
So many times we say something like “I can’t do this” or I could never….” you finish the sentence. More than likely if you say you can’t…you wont. If you continuously fill your mind with words like can’t or never you will stay right where you are and never improve your circumstances. Someone once said “Do the thing you fear and the death of fear is certain”. In other words if you BELIEVE you can….you can. If you don’t acknowledge fear, it has NO power over you!
The secret is to fill your mind with thoughts of confidence and faith. Believing that you can do something is 99% of the battle. The Bible is full of scripture speaking of courage and confidence. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13) is one of my favorite scriptures. It reminds me that God doesn’t promise us that we can do some things or that he “might” help us. He says “all things” and “he will help us”. That means there is nothing you can’t do if God is in it. NOTHING! Isn’t that awesome! Doesn’t that give you hope?
Here are a few things you can do to over come an attitude of fear and lack of confidence.
- Picture yourself as succeeding. Burn it on your mind and never let it slip. Not even for a moment. Never doubt the reality of the picture regardless of your current circumstances because the mind always tries to complete what it pictures.
- Never allow yourself to think of yourself as a failure. When a negative thought comes to mind, immediately replace it with a positive thought to cancel it out.
- Don’t allow obstacles to be built up in your mind. Always minimize them and deflate them. Look at them as something to be eliminated.
- Don’t idolize other people. Remember, despite their confident appearance and attitude, most people are as scared and fearful as you are.
- Realize your true abilities. We ALL have things we are really good at. Without becoming egotistical, look at your gifts and abilities, then make a decision to increase them by 10%.
- Repeat these words 10 times a day, “If God is for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31.
- Put yourself in God’s hands. Say it to yourself right now. Luke 17:21 states “the kingdom of God is within you.” Believe that it gives you all the power you will need to meet life’s demands.
- Remind yourself that God is with you and nothing can defeat you. Believe that right now you are receiving power from him and that he will help you in all ways.
So what do you fear? What action can you take today to overcome your fears? Remember, “can’t” starts with the word CAN. Take the word “can’t” out of your vocabulary and you will be shocked at what you can accomplish. Don’t believe me? Try it! It has worked for me for most of my life and I bet it will work for you as well.
I hope this has been helpful to encourage you to not be afraid but to have faith that you can do ANYTHING! 🙂