We have control of our mind. We do….really! I know sometimes it’s hard to believe, but we do. Our senses are bombarded on a minute by minute basis with all types of things clamoring for our attention. Television, radio, the internet. Family, friends, co-workers. It all feeds our mind. And so much of what we see and hear today is negative! So how do we counteract what is being fed to our brains? Here are a few ways that I’ve found work well for me and I hope they will help you as well.
- Stop complaining!!! Oh, this one’s a biggy, that’s why its first on my list. Complaining saps the life right out of you. It drains you mentally and physically. it doesn’t change the situation, it doesn’t make anything better. So stop….just STOP!
- Be optimistic. Believe in yourself. Believe in your future. Have hopes and dreams. Without hope, the people will perish! Believe, believe, believe!!!
- Find SOMETHING good in a bad experience. And you can…if you look for it. Even if it’s just that you are breathing today. It’s not always easy but I can guarantee if you will make this one thing a habit, your whole outlook will change.
- Be thankful for what you DO have. So many times we forget just how blessed we are, We all have things that we want and that’s okay. As long as you don’t forget to be thankful for what you already have. Look at what you have…not what everyone else has and you will find that you are much happier.
- Find beauty in the small things. My husband laughs at me sometimes because I still act like a little kid when something excites me! A sunrise or sunset. A little baby goat or beautiful flower. I don’t care what it is. I try to find joy in all things! One of my favorite things to do is go for walks and sometimes, just seeing a pretty little flower growing brings me such joy!
- Spend more time with positive people. Look at those you spend a lot of time with….how do you feel when you are around them? Do they lift you up? Encourage you? If not then maybe you need to start spending time with those who do. Now I know this isn’t always possible but you can limit the damage these people have on you by not dwelling on the negative stuff that is said.
- Spend less time dwelling on the negative things going on in your life. We all have bad stuff going on….but what you focus on grows. Focusing on it gives it life and it continues to get bigger…so why not focus on the good. And there may only be one thing….but focus on it. And as I said before….there is always SOMETHING good.
- Help others see the positive….pay it forward…pass it on. Helping others will ALWAYS make you feel good!
- Smile more….I smile a lot….at EVERYONE! I don’t worry about how they respond…I just smile! And I smile even when I’m alone…it just makes me happy.
- STOP. Ask yourself what is making you mad or upset. CHALLENGE. Do you have control over it? Is there anything you can do about it right now? If not…..CHOOSE. Choose to let it go. Replace it with a positive thought. Picture a positive outcome of the situation. I learned the Stop, Challenge, Choose method when I was a health coach for Take Shape For Life and I’ve found that it works not just for choosing the right foods but also in choosing the right thoughts.
IT’S YOUR CHOICE WHAT STAYS IN YOUR MIND….Choose to keep it positive!!
I hope these ideas help you. Please leave a comment and let me know! I’d also love to hear how you stay positive.